Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Thin Mushroom "Pizzas"


Sooooooo delicous!! This recipe along with the tofu cream was the first I made from "The Kind Diet" book. I'm hooked now. MMMMMM.

Ingredients:

12 dried shiitake mushrooms
1 c dried porcini mushrooms
1 Tb olive oil plus more for drizzling
1 onion, halved and cut into half moon slices
3 garlic cloves
2 pinches fine grain sea salt
2 c fresh button mushrooms, sliced
A few drops shoyu to taste or soy sauce
8 whole wheat tortillas (I like Ezekiel)
1 c tofu crm (see recipe in post below)
8-10 blk olives, sliced
chopped fresh basil (if desired)

Preheat broiler.

Soak the shiitake and porcini mushrooms in water for 30 mins in a mall bowl.Remove the mushrooms from the water, Cut out and discard the tough shiitake stems.

*Footnote: I was totally oblivious to the fact that it said dried mushrooms so I bought fresh, I could not find porcini so I used fresh shiitake, button, and brown. It worked out great.*

Heat the oil in a skillet over med heat, add the garlic, onion, and a pinch of salt and cook for 2-3 mins, or until the onion and garlic begin to soften. Ad the shiitake, and porcini mushrms and cook for 5-7 mins. Add the button mushrms w/ a pinch of salt and the shoyu. Cook for 2 mins and set aside.

Drizzle the tortillas lightly with olive oil and toast under the broiler until almost crisp, being careful not to burn. Spread a thin but generous layer of tofu cream on each tortilla and top with cooked mushrooms and olives. Drizzle with a litlle more olive oil and broil again until the tortillas are just crisp. Granish with chopped basil before serving if desired.

Kurt and I both LOVED these! Super yummy!
Serves 8

Photobucket

2 comments:

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

I love mushrooms and now officially want this book LOL!

Ashley Stone said...

looks delicious.... too bad my hubby won't eat mushrooms. Ugh! I'll have to make them sometime when he's gone. : )