Thursday, May 19, 2011

Salmon with Quinoa & Grapefruit Salad


Hold the phone, I think I just became a gourmet chef! ha ha. This meal is so darn good. Quinoa is always good in my opinion such an awesome food. The citrus with the fish is heaven! Make this today or sometime soon I promise you'll be glad you did.

Ingredients:
1 medium grapefruit
8 thin slices ginger
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
3/4 c quinoa
1 1/2 c water
1/2 t kosher salt
1 Tb white wine vinegar
2 t honey
1 small serrano or jalapeno chile, minced (I did NOT use this fyi)
2 scallions, minced
2 Tb chopped fresh cilantro
fresh blk pepper

1 1/2 lbs skinless center cut salmon, cut into 2 inch cubes

Strip the peel from the grapefruit try not to include the white bitter pith. Warm the grapefruit peel, ginger, and olive oil in a saucepan over med heat. As soon as the oil starts to bubble remove from the heat and set aside to steep for 30 mins. Strain and reserve the oil.

Meanwhile, rinse the quinoa and drain. Cook the quinoa in a saucepan with the water and salt. Boil over high heat and reduce heat to simmer for 15 mins. Transfer the quinoa to a bowl and fluff with a fork. Cool.

Segment the grapefruit over a bowl, reserving the segments and juice seperately. Whisk 3 Tb of the juice with the vinegar, honey, and salt to taste in a bowl. Gradually whisk in 3 Tb of the reserved oil to make a slightly thick dressing. Season with pepper to taste.
Toss the quinoa with the dressing, chiles, scallions, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
Preheat a stovtop or grill to high heat, you can thread the salmon cubes onto skewers to make kebobs or just grill them. Brush them with the remianing 1 Tb grapefruit oil and salt and pepper Grill turning as each side browns and salmon is cooked through about 3 mins.
Toss the grapefruit segments into the salad, divide among 4 plates and top with the salmon. Enjoy!

Makes 4 servings
per serving 455 cal, 31 carb, 26 fat, 26 protein

Photobucket

2 comments:

No Place Like Home said...

this looks good!

Shillig8 said...

OMG I'm so excited to try this, I've been looking for recipes that consist of whole grains, fruits, veggies and fish so that I can be healthier and loose weight! I've been living off oatmeal, salad, and fresh fruit for the past two weeks and just got Pita sandwiches in there. It's amazing what you can do when you attempt to cut salt, sugar, and white flour out of your diet.