Friday, June 11, 2010

Feature Friday


It's been a while since I posted the feature friday but I'm trying to stay on top of things. I've rented a couple movies in the last few weeks since I did this and saw one or two in the theater so I'm just going to highlight a few and then move on to ones that I am waiting to see.
First up: Leap Year starring Amy Adams and Matthew Goode

Synopsis: A woman who has an elaborate scheme to propose to her boyfriend on Leap Day, an Irish tradition which occurs every time the date February 29 rolls around, faces a major setback when bad weather threatens to derail her planned trip to Dublin. With the help of an innkeeper, however, her cross-country odyssey just might result in her getting engaged.

I actually really enjoyed this movie, but then again anything having to do with Ireland and Irish accents has me from the get go ^. It was a cute movie kind of predictable but still fun to watch. I don't know what it is about Amy Adams but I really like her. The setting was gorgeous and I loved Matthew Goodes accent.


Next up, we have Alice In Wonderland starring Mia Wasikowska, Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, and Anne Hatheway. Synopsis: Alice, an unpretentious and individual 19-year-old, is betrothed to a dunce of an English nobleman. At her engagement party, she escapes the crowd to consider whether to go through with the marriage and falls down a hole in the garden after spotting an unusual rabbit. Arriving in a strange and surreal place called "Underland," she finds herself in a world that resembles the nightmares she had as a child, filled with talking animals, villainous queens and knights, and frumious bandersnatches. Alice realizes that she is there for a reason--to conquer the horrific Jabberwocky and restore the rightful queen to her throne.

To be honest, I really wasn't sure about this movie. I didn't rush to the theater like most people did to see it, I rented it from Redbox. Tim Burtons movies run a little creepy and most of the time I don't like them. I was pleasantly surprised with this one. I enjoyed it, not enough to run out and buy it but I thought it was really cool. I loved the imagination and creativity that went into it. I loved the effects and the creativity that went into the makeup and costumes. The storyline was fun and kept me interested. Johnny Depp did an amazing job as usual. The movie did not disappoint. I meant to watch the movie alone first because I know that the majority of Tim Burtons stuff is a little scary for the little ones. I started the movie while they were still sleeping but they woke up only 20 mins into it and since it seemed harmless enough they watched the rest with me, they liked the movie too. There are a few somewhat scary things for babies but it's only for a second or so.


And our final feature is Extraordinary Measures starring Brendan Frasier and Harrison Ford. I rented this mainly because there wasn't anything else at the redbox lol. Although I do remember seeing previews and thinking it looked interesting. Synopsis: A Portland couple have two children with Pompe disease, a genetic anomaly that kills before a child's tenth birthday. The husband, John, who's in advertising, contacts Robert Stonehill, a researcher who has a theory on an enzyme treatment. He has little money to pursue his research, and a thorny personality that drives away colleagues and funders. John and his wife Aileen raise money for to get Stonehill going, then John takes on the task full time, working with venture capitalists and then a rival team of researchers. Time is passing, Stonehill's antics get in the way, and the profit motive may upend John's hopes. Can the researchers succeed in time for the Crowley's.

I watched this one with Kurt and we both enjoyed it. It's a definite drama mixed in with a little humor. Some of Harrison Fords lines were really funny. Brendan Frasier looked terrible, he does not look healthy. (had to throw that in there because that was my immediate thought once he hit the screen) I was a little weepy eyed at some parts but I think that comes from being a mom and having kids of my own too. I found this movie informative and worth the time if you like a little drama.

On to the up comings that I am looking forward to:
Top 4 Upcoming rentals:

Book of Eli (for my husband), When In Rome, Percy Jackson & Olympians- the Lightening Thief, and Valentines Day
Top 4 currently in theaters:

Killers, A-Team, Robin Hood, & Prince of Persia
Have you seen any of these, what did you think? What movies are you looking forward to?
p.s. Can't forget to be excited for this!!

My midnight show tickets are on hand. #


Photobucket

3 comments:

{andthisiswhatshesaid} said...

When in rome is really cute, youll like it! so was valentines day.


I cant wait to see A team, and killers, and ECLIPSE!!!

Lindsay said...

I saw Alice in wonderland in theatres and wasn't crazy about it either! Very disappointed! Have a great weekend!

Ashley Stone said...

I loved Leap Year and Alice and Wonderland! I will have to check out Extraordinary Measures. xoxo