skip to main |
skip to sidebar

Saturday- 6/12/10 I had gone to my friend Christines home for a playdate. The kids had so much fun swimming in the pool and hanging out for a couple hours. After our playdate I headed towards Frazier Park, I was going to do a photoshoot of the kids and I as a Fathers Day gift for Kurt. I was supposed to be there by 4:30 and I was running late. I took the 14 to Ave D which is the 138 that would take me to Frazier Park. I had spoke to Kurt on the phone as I was just leaving Christines and told him I was on my way to Frazier. The kids were fast asleep about 5 mins into our trip, too much excitement. My phone started beeping at me about 15 mins down th road, I tried to find it in my purse and veered off the road while looking for the phone onto the gravel dirt side. (everyone who's ever driven the 138 warns you of the side of the road) I remember my Mom constantly telling me when I was younger how dangerous the side of the road was off of the 138 and how much you have to slow down before ever going off to the side. It was such a quick second I glanced down and off I went when I glanced back up I saw I was going off the road and tried pulling it back, the car fishtailed and I tried to hit the brakes and bring it back, the momentum tried to spin the car into the oncoming traffic side. I was able to pull it back but the car still spun out of control. I remember hitting the dirt enbankment and the knowledge that the car was no longer on the ground I was in the air. I hit the embankment and closed my eyes. I'm pretty sure I must have blacked out because I only remember hitting the enbankment and the chaos of rolling, I heard metal crunching and chaos. The next thing I remember was hearing my children screaming and crying. I turned to look at them and saw that they were completely safe, the only damage done was a small cut below Emmitts eye and you could tell he'd have a shiner the next day. I did my best to remain calm and calm my kids down, I got out of the vehicle to find people immediately on the scene to help. Some neighbors 1/2 a mile down heard the accident and came to help, they had already called the police and ambulance. My hands were cut and bleeding and seriously bruised and burned from the steering wheel. Other than that I didn't notice any other injuries- running on some serious adrenaline. My only thoughts were for my kids. The car was totalled. The off duty officer that lived nearby saw the whole thing he told me I rolled about 3 times and didn't think we would walk out of the car. I signed a bunch of documents- for the car, the refusal of ambulance, and the accident report. The neighbors took us to their home where I contacted Christine to head there since I couldn't get a hold of Kurt. The kids were running and playing in the backyard, Maddox as happy as can be. A miracle.

The aftermath was painful once the adrenaline was gone. I noticed a HUGE bump on my head, I don't remember hitting it so maybe thats what knocked me out. Underneath my chin and neck was severely damaged and bruised and swollen. I'm guessing thats where the airbag hit me. No broken bones but serious body damage. Too many bruises to count. I have to sport a neck brace for a while and bedrest for the next 2 weeks. I was told my injuries are comparable to jumping off a three story building. I walk around like a old lady. My neck and back are by far the worst. The bedrest is making me crazy mainly because I am a very active person, standing up and trying to do something for 5 mins is torture on my back. But I count myself lucky to be alive.

Things could have been so much worse. My children were protected and so was I. A lesson learned and a new gratitude for life and my children. I believe in God and his miracles...do you?

16 comments:
Oh Amy, so sorry to hear about this, this is just horrible, I am so glad you and your kids are safe though, it could have been SOOOO much worse! Glad that God was there to help you and your kids.
I hope you have a speedy recovery.
I guess this teaches people to not mess with the phone right? My boyfriend often goes to answer the phone and it really makes me mad, cause i've heard so many stories like this.
Glad you're ok. xoxo.
Oh my gosh you are in my prayers. I am so glad everyone is safe. Have a speedy recovery! Give all those kids hugs! xoxo
L
You car looks awful! I am amazed you were all ok. Have you been to a chiropractor yet? That's always my first phone call after I'm in a wreck. Not that I've rolled before, but we were in a fatal accident once upon a time and I have long-term issues from it. I hope your recovery goes well. I can't even imagine how sore that would make you! Good luck. Let us know if we can do anything to help you from afar.
You have been in our prayers. We love you and hope you have a speedy recovery. I cannot even imagine, and the fact that y'all all WALKED away and weren't put on stretchers is like you said a miracle.
I love you!
Oh! Wow!! Yes, miracles do happen. This definitely is one.
Amy, I am so glad all of you are ok. That is soo scary. Jeremy and I got into a really bad accident while we were dating where both cars were totaled and we were sooo lucky to be alive. I believe in miracles completely.
Wow, Amy!!! I'm so glad you and all the kids are ok. How scary! You were definitely being watched over, that's for sure. So glad you're not hurt worse! I hope you have a speedy recovery!!
Yes, I think this was a miracle! Thank God your kids made it out unharmed and you all made it out ALIVE! I hope you recover soon!
Oh Amy:) I cried when I heard and saw this! Prayers that you heal up quick, and I am so thankful your babies are ok. Much love, BRE
Oh Amy:) I cried when I heard and saw this! Prayers that you heal up quick, and I am so thankful your babies are ok. Much love, BRE
I seriously teared up when I read this. I am so glad that you are all okay.
Amy! I am so so glad you and the kids are okay! I am so sorry this happened. It is crazy how much can happen in just a split second. Praise God you and the kids walked away from the crash, and with make a full recovery. Love ya girl!
I am soooooo happy you are alive and well and the children too.
Thank the LORD for watching over you and your kiddos -- OHHHH my goodness, how scary!!!
oh my goodness! How did I miss this post!? SO glad you and the kids are okay! Wow, could have been bad! You are very fortunate. xoxo
Post a Comment